Thursday, June 19, 2008

Living the North County Dream (We Moved to Cedar Hills!)

Living the North County dream: Sick of sharing streets and shopping centers with students, my husband and I recently sold our home in southeast Provo and moved to Cedar Hills (motto: "The city that's way the freak out there").
I'd heard good things about the area, what with the controversial golf course and the mudslides and all. I had heard about the coalitions, too, but was faced with a dilemma: Which was the right one to join? Could I join them all as a way to meet people? And would the others find out?
Having lived here for a few days, I can vouch that the view is absolutely gorgeous, but it comes at a price. Cedar Hills (alternate motto: "Running business out of town one store at a time") is close to absolutely nothing. I feel like I'm in the 1988 Chevy Chase movie "Funny Farm" every time I tell my husband I have to "go into town" to shop at Target or Wal-Mart.
I am starting to understand why speculating about new commerce in the area is a North County obsession. Have you heard the rumor about the shopping center that is going to feature Ikea, the Cheesecake Factory and Anthropologie? Well, at a restaurant the other night, I overheard a friend of the developers say that they were going to connect all those businesses with a series of waterslides. People will all wear their bathing suits to shop. It's going to be the latest thing.
Hey, when you look out on nothing but subdivisions and sage brush, you've got to dream.
On the upside, this is unquestionably the friendliest neighborhood I have ever lived in. Although the area is relatively new, my neighbors have already organized a book club, a recipe club, a playgroup and a weekly women's volleyball game. Apparently, those who can't flee their homes for the shopping malls have to actually rely on each other for entertainment.
Next you'll be telling me that instead of downloading episodes of ABC's "Desperate Housewives" to their cell phones, these folks actually talk to one another. In person. By choice.
That's what happens when you get too far away from Target.
-- Elyssa AndrusThis story appeared in The Daily Herald on page B1 on December 28, 2005.

No comments: