Thursday, June 19, 2008

Holy Hannah Montana!

Holy Hannah: I have a confession to make. I am 30 years old and I really like Hannah Montana. If there is anyone left in Utah County who missed all of this year's Stadium of Fire fireworks, here's a quick primer. Hannah Montana is the fictional alter ego of the very real and adorable 15-year-old Miley Cyrus. There is a Disney Channel TV show called "Hannah Montana," about a young pop superstar (played by Miley). Cyrus is, herself, a young pop superstar. Confusing? A little bit. But ask any 11-year-old girl, and she can work it out for you.
Organizers of the yearly Provo Fourth of July event Stadium of Fire must have promised to change the name of the state (a second Montana, perhaps?) to get Miley to come, but it's a huge deal. Huge. Her concerts routinely sell out in a matter of minutes.
I'm the oldest of 11 children, many of whom are still teenagers and pre-teens and religiously watch the "Hannah Montana" show on Disney. I, personally, became more of a fan of the show and of Miley when my son Tyler (now 3 months old) was born. Literally.
I was in labor and my husband -- sweet, considerate man that he is -- was watching the inane vehicle-makeover show "Trick my Truck" on CMT. When I realized that Tyler was about to be born, I started freaking out about bringing a child into the world with a bunch of big-rig mechanics yammering on in the background. I told my husband to start flipping channels, and he landed on the "Hannah Montana" show just as Tyler made his entrance into the world. Coincidence? I think not.
And Miley Cyrus will likely be Tyler's first concert. Through some stroke of dumb luck on the computer, my husband was able to get some tickets before they sold out. So Tyler and I will go, but my older son and my husband will likely stay home. There are way too many other people in my family fighting over the tickets. These are people who would never choose to watch "Trick my Truck" when they could be watching "Hannah Montana." They know what a good thing she's got going. They know.
-- Elyssa Andrus
This article appeared in The Daily Herald on April 9, 2008. See http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/261648/149/

2 comments:

Morkthefied said...

Elyssa! I caught your blog off of Ellen's blog. I too love HM! I love her show. I laugh out loud at Billy Ray (especially when he's pretending he's Dr. Philbilly) and her brother on the show. I guess it shows my maturity. And I didn't know you were from a family of 11. I'm from a family of 10 (middle child--Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!). Thanks for posting your columns, fellow old NewsNetter, you!

-- Cindy

Janessa said...

Hey, us twelve-year-olds are crazy about her too!