Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Baby Genuises Pushing Me Over the Borderline

The other day, a coworker asked me if I was listening to classical music with the baby. I gulped and admitted that Joshua has had more exposure to Jerry Springer than he has to Chopin. I'm not sure if I buy into the theory that you can make your child a baby genuis by speaking in Latin and playing Mozart and reading Suze Orman's financial advice books to him in the womb and during the first few months of life. On the other hand, it couldn't hurt. Except that parents -- moms especially -- seem to be so competitive about their wonderbabies that one almost feels guilty if one hasn't exposed one's child to a sampling of biochemistry, French literature and cubist art by the time baby learns to roll over. I guess I've been so mesmerized watching Josh drool on his fingers (clever child!) that I've forgotten to make vocabulary flash cards.Then again, after the discussion on classical music, I stopped dancing with Josh to Madonna songs long enough to play some Italian opera music. But, knowing myself and how much I would rather listen to Britney than Bach, I'm sure I'll be twirling Josh over the "Borderline" again sooner or later.

No comments: